Political Relations, Public Affairs and Media Relations Officer (m/f)
Salary: 19,352.50 HRK (gross)
Close date: June 30, 2019 at midnight.
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Program Manager, this position:
- Provides political support and analysis, reporting on domestic and foreign policy developments in Croatia, Kosovo and the region;
- Promotes Canadian foreign policy priorities and interests;
- Builds relationships and networks with institutions, political representatives, civil society and academic organizations, media and other relevant contacts;
- Develops, implements and delivers strategic advocacy and public affairs activities including cultural events;
- Supports official visits to Croatia and Kosovo by Canadian dignitaries and others.
The Officer is also responsible for:
- Promotion of Canadian values in Croatia, media and academic relations, and the dissemination of general information about Canada;
- Securing competitive funding and managing program budgets;
- Representing the Embassy at a broad range of events to promote mission objectives;
- Producing briefing materials and conducting oral briefings for the Ambassador and Political Program Manager in areas of competence and responsibility.
Area of selection/Eligibility
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of the Republic of Croatia, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Croatia does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Bachelor`s Degree
- Essential: Excellent oral and written skills in Croatian and English;
- Minimum 2 years experience working in a similar position;
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Good knowledge of the overall political environment in the Republic of Croatia, including the domestic, regional and international contexts;
- Good knowledge of Kosovo and the regional dynamics;
- Good knowledge of the regional political and economic situation throughout Europe;
- Knowledge of the overall political situation in the Republic of Kosovo;
- Knowledge of the cultural, arts and academic communities in Croatia;
- General knowledge of Canada;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices;
- Effective Interactive Communication – Oral and Written;
- Initiative, critical thinking and sound judgement;
- Ability to plan and organize workflow, coordinate information;
- Provide quality services to client with a client-centred approach;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Attention to detail;
- Networking and contact development;
- Program and budget management experience;
- Ability to perform under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal communication and relations;
- Good computer skills;
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- Previous experience in a Government or Public Sector environment;
- French language skills - preference will be given to those with a strong written and oral French language abilities;
- Previous experience in general areas of expertise that are priorities for Canada – women’s empowerment; human rights and diversity; security and defence, etc.;
- Knowledge of the operations of Canadian Mission abroad;
- Experience in preparing official correspondence;
- Experience working for an international organization or diplomatic mission in the last years in field of international and domestic politics and PR;
- Knowledge of Albanian language.
- Ability to work overtime occasionally;
- Work 37.5 hours per week, 5 days a week;
- Ability to travel within Croatia and internationally.
Conditions of Employment
- Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a reliability rating (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
How to apply:
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Embassy of Canada in Croatia does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Croatia, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those applicants called for an interview will be contacted.